Last Updated on: 26th November 2023, 11:57 pm
Navigating the Evolving Landscape of Google Business Profile Metrics
If you’ve noticed a significant drop in your Google Business Profile (GBP) views recently, you’re not alone. Google implemented a series of updates to its performance metric calculations in November 2022, causing a noticeable decline in the number of views reported for many businesses. While some initially attributed this change to an algorithm update, the reality is that Google simply refined the way it calculates GBP views.
Demystifying the New Calculation Method
To provide a clearer picture of how businesses are performing, Google now counts unique views within a 24-hour period. This means that multiple views from the same user on the same day are counted as a single view. Additionally, views on Google Maps are now only counted when a user actually clicks to view the business’s profile, rather than just seeing the business’s location on the map.
Prioritizing Genuine Customer Engagement
The shift to counting unique views and filtering out incidental clicks on business locations aims to provide businesses with a more accurate representation of their actual customer engagement. Under the previous system, the number of views could be inflated by users repeatedly searching for a particular category or location, even if they didn’t intend to visit or interact with a specific business.
Key Takeaways for Businesses
- Understand the New Metric: Familiarize yourself with the revised calculation method to accurately interpret your GBP views data.
- Focus on Quality Over Quantity: Prioritize meaningful interactions with potential customers rather than chasing inflated view counts.
- Optimize Your Profile: Ensure your profile is complete, informative, and visually appealing to attract and engage potential customers.
- Monitor Performance Trends: Regularly review your GBP insights to track progress and identify areas for improvement.
Essential Changes in the Digital Landscape
- Google Algorithm Updates: Changes in Google’s search algorithms can affect how business profiles appear in search results. This can impact views and interactions based on how Google ranks and displays these profiles.
- User Behavior Shifts: Changes in user behavior, preferences, and expectations can influence how they interact with Google Business Profiles. For instance, users might rely more on reviews or specific information when making decisions.
- Integration of New Features: Google regularly updates and introduces new features to enhance Business Profiles, such as messaging options, posts, product listings, and Q&A sections. Utilizing these features effectively can impact profile visibility and views.
- Local SEO Changes: Changes in local SEO practices can impact how well a business profile ranks in local searches, thereby affecting views. Strategies like local keyword optimization, accurate business information, and consistent NAP (Name, Address, Phone number) citations can impact visibility.
- Impact of Reviews and Ratings: Reviews and ratings on Google Business Profiles have a substantial influence on customer decisions. Changes in review policies, the frequency of new reviews, and the responses to reviews can affect profile views.
- Rise of Voice Search: With the increase in voice search usage, businesses need to optimize their profiles for voice-based queries. This might involve using more conversational language and providing concise yet informative details.
Mobile Dominance: The shift towards mobile browsing continues to grow. More users are accessing Google Business Profiles through mobile devices, influencing views and interactions.
While the initial decline in view counts may have caused concern, Google’s updated performance metrics ultimately benefit businesses by providing a clearer picture of genuine customer engagement. By focusing on quality over quantity and optimizing your GBP for meaningful interactions, you can effectively attract and convert potential customers.
Those were some of the primary factors influencing changes in Google Business Profile views within the digital landscape. It’s essential for businesses to stay updated with the latest trends and adapt their strategies accordingly to maintain visibility and engagement through their Google Business Profiles.
Simply Be Found is here to help! We understand how frustrating it can be for business owners to lose access to their local SEO profiles, and we’re dedicated to getting you back on track.